This is a superb antique tile plaque for the Delta Kappa Gamma Society. This wonderful ceramic tile with its matte green glaze finish, appears to have been made in the 1930’s. Although the maker is unknown, it’s look and feels very similar to pieces made by Grueby, Teco and Weller. Its unknown if this was made for use as a tile plaque or something like a paperweight. The tile measures 4.25″H x 2.63″W.
The Delta Kappa Gamma Society International was founded May 11, 1929, at the Faculty Women’s Club at The University of Texas in Austin. The group was statred by Dr. Annie Webb Blanton. She was a member of the faculty of The University of Texas and a former state superintendent of public instruction. She conceived the idea of an honorary organization for women educators. She selected 11 educators from Texas to help her create The Delta Kappa Gamma Society. Delta Kappa Gamma promotes professional and personal growth of women educators and excellence in education.The Founders believed that an organization of women teachers, selected from among the best in the profession and united by common purposes, would have an opportunity for rendering real service to education.